Friday, September 9, 2011

Cooking and Creating

While Big Sister was at preschool one day Baby Brother and made a trip to Sprouts (which recently opened a mere 5 minutes from our house!!) where he saw mangos and just had to have them. This boy loves to make what we call Mango Juice Pops. But he loves to make anything really. He is my little chef. 
putting in the kale


putting in the local honey

He was so proud of himself. As soon as his daddy came home he said, "Me make juice pops."

Mango Juice Pops
1/2 a bunch of kale
1/2 cup orange juice
3 mangos
about 2 Tablespoons local honey
puree and freeze. 

But the other thing I use these for are to flavor my water. I freeze the rest of it in ice cube trays and instead of putting ice cubes in my water I put about 4 to 6 cubes of this mango kale mixture. It flavors the water not to mention all the great benefits of kale
putting in the sticks. 
I just love these moments with him and I'm so glad that he is not in MDO so I can soak up more time with him and pour knowledge into him. I believe that kids are able to learn and practice their social skills at the grocery store and other public places. Rhett got to do that with me today just as his sister did when she was his age (although she did more learning than practicing). Rhett and I also spent time building block towers, doing puzzles, playing tractor and making a mess painting on this day. I felt like I really got to know him even better and he talked a lot more with his sister gone.


So then later that night I decided to make cheddar biscuits to go with my crockpot BBQ chicken and both kids wanted to help. They were so happy to tell daddy they helped make dinner. 


So glad my kids got to feel a sense of community and accomplishment in helping create food for the family today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment