Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Valentine's Day Projects

 Time to begin our annual Valentine's Day projects for grandparents, great grandparents, uncle Jacob, and friends. To warm up I let them color on what either hearts that I had cut out earlier or mini foam, magnetic postcards that I got from Michael's.

                                                                              Then we began the good stuff! Finger Painting! I rolled out some paper for the mess (from Ikea). Here we are prepped and ready to go. Rhett is so cute with his head barely reaching the top of the counter. Now whenever he sees a camera he automatically gives this fake smile, so silly.

I squirted red paint in a pan for Kellyn to dip her left hand and I sqirted blue paint for Rhett to dip his right hand. Then Kellyn put her left hand print on one side of a heart and Rhett put his right hand print on the other side a heart. We made about 8 of these. We really only needed 5, but I like to make extra so as to pick the best ones since some turned out a little messy. Then I let them do hand prints all over the paper and I added other colors of paint to the pan.



Rhett looked at his left hand then his right hand then he wiped them together to give me the sign for clean up. Poor little guy likes to be clean. But not his sister. She wiped paint all up her arms.
For kids it is all about the process even though for adults it's more about the end product. I think my kids had fun in the process and I got a cute product.

Valentine's Day gifts for the grandparents.

I found the paper doilies in the dollar section at Michael's.
They come like 6 in a package. I got some other colors too for Easter.

 Our next project was for us to keep and display. I came up with this idea from the Thanksgiving banner we made back in Novemeber where we wrote what we were thankful for on each letter. For Valentine's Day I wanted to write down the things we love, but then got to thinking about how only God knows the true meaning of love. So we decorated the verse "For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son." John 3:16. The world is kind of an abstract concept for young children so I had her tell me all the people, places, and things that God loves. Her list was pretty cute because it slowly turned into the things she loves like rainbows and flowers.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment