Friday, July 20, 2012

I don't know how to title this

What am I going to say to my daughter or son when they are teenagers and want to go to the midnight showing of a new hot movie? No, you might get shot? Seriously?! Is this really happening? Is this the world we live in? Is this the world I am raising 2 precious, innocent children in? I'm crying and grieving and I didn't even know any of the people involved. I'm so sad and empathetic for those families that lost a child, sister, brother, cousin, friend... at the movie theater. I'm in shock as I'm sure you are too. I have often said that I feel too much. I have such intense empathy. It comes in handy sometimes as a counselor, but not when I am watching the news with my 2 young children who begin to ask why Mommy is crying. I feel such intense pain and loss for those families. That could happen to anyone anywhere. The movie theater is the funnest, safest, calmest, most friendly and inviting place to go. Date night, movie night, hot summer night, they are all the movie theater. Now I feel like I just can't protect my kids from anything. I feel so defeated. I feel so angry that that guy stole my children's safety and security from them. I so furious that I will now feel a twinge of panic wash over me when my children are out of my sight. How dare he play God and choose who lives and dies. But he certainly isn't the first human to do something like this. Evil does exist. Why was his mother not surprised? What warning signs were there? Who didn't speak up or call authorities for fear of offending someone? Now in this world that we live in my babies could get shot if they go to college, they could get shot if they go to the mall, they could get shot if they go to the movie theater, or even at school. What am I supposed to do just deny them any life experiences outside of this home? Make them live in a sheltered bubble because they may encounter an evil person. NO! I will not do that to them. I will not do that to myself. I will PRAY. I will pray over them and for them and with them. I will pray for their Momma to calm down and trust God to keep them safe. And I will pray for this fallen world. I don't know what else I can do. I feel so helpless, but not hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment