Friday, May 27, 2011

Organic Fruit and Veggie Co-op

So I joined an organic fruit and vegetable co-op this month. We pick our food up every 2 weeks at the organizer's house. I'm splitting mine with a friend and I still get plenty of food. A full order would be too much for us and I know I would never cook it all in time. And another great thing is that we get a menu with the food so I don't have to figure out how to cook it. Someone else has already done all the leg work and research of putting a full 2 week menu together. I don't use all the recipes, but most of them. I took the picture below to show you just how fresh and bright these veggies are. I don't think it translate as well on camera, but you get the idea. Now if I just had a Saladmaster pan to make it even healthier and a Saladmaster Machine to make the chopping process much quicker.


I sauteed 1 onion and spinach together until the spinach shrunk down. Then I added chopped, Roma tomatoes and carrots and let that simmer for a while as the spaghetti cooked.


I tossed freshly grated Parmesan cheese with the pasta then tossed in all the veggies and sprinkled a little more Parmesan on topped and served hot. No meat! Both kids at it up and it was so healthy for us!!!

In this shipment we also received bok choy. Luckily I received this recipe:

Japanese Beef and Bok Choy Stir Fry
Ingredients:
2 pounds boneless beef sirloin or beef top round steaks (3/4" thick) 
3 tablespoons cornstarch 1 (10.5 ounce) can Beef Broth 1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons sugar 
2 tablespoons vegetable oil ***can substitute olive oil 4 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms 
1 head Chinese cabbage (bok choy), thinly sliced 
2 medium red peppers, cut into 2"-long strips 3 stalks celery, sliced 
2 medium green onions, cut into 2" pieces 
Hot cooked regular long-grain white rice ***Can substitute brown rice or quinoa
Bright green Bok Choy and Green Onions.
Directions:
Slice beef into very thin strips. Mix cornstarch, broth, soy and sugar until smooth. Set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in saucepot or wok over high heat. Add beef in 2 batches and stir-fry until browned. Set beef aside.Add 1 tablespoon oil. Add the mushrooms, cabbage, peppers, celery and green onions in 2 batches and stir-fry over medium heat until tender-crisp. Set vegetables aside. Stir cornstarch mixture and add. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Return beef and vegetables to saucepot and heat through. Serve over rice.
And the finished product. It was very tasty.
***MAKE AHEAD: Prepare vegetables and place in resealable plastic bags. Refrigerate overnight. Prep Time: 30 Min Cook Time: 15 Min
 Ready In: 45 Min

No comments:

Post a Comment