Sunday, May 8, 2011

Our Garden and Worms

Kellyn loves worms and all bugs so we got her a worm house. It came with eggs to hatch baby worms which has been fun, but she pretty much puts all worms she finds outside in her worm house as well. We have learned so much about worms from this book.



In early April we decided to grow and build a garden. We started with a few plants inside then moved outside. These are some of the books that helped us learn about how plants and flowers grow.

  My mom gave us this little herb garden to grow in the window and I picked up this cute, pink pot of zenia seeds in the Dollar section at Target.

A few weeks after planting they began to grow!!


The Styrofoam box on the end there is a root vue farm I had in my classroom. We planted carrots in it.

Kellyn searching for worms and rolly pollies in dirt before I cover it.
I stacked all the bricks myself then when my mom was there to watch the kids
 I ran to get the top soil. This is them playing in the dirt.


 I told them I would let them play in the dirt for a few days before I planted everything. Instead of a sand box we have a dirt pit. :)

The next day Kellyn's friend Caroline W. came over to play and the girls played in the dirt and buried Rhett's feet in it. They were all so messy and having so much fun. I totally forgot to take a picture because I had to hurry and clean them up to get to gymnastics on time.

And the final results.
Sorry kids, no more dirt pit.
(They are getting a sandbox in a few weeks for Rhett's birthday so they'll be fine.)

No comments:

Post a Comment