Friday, November 11, 2011

Did that really happen?

My husband and I are looking for a private school for our daughter to attend for Kindergarten. We have narrowed it down to 2 since those are the only 2 in our price range. So we made an appointment to tour and meet with the principal of one of them on Thursday morning. On Sunday night I told a friend of mine in our Life Group that ideally I would like to get a part time counseling job at the school so I we could get a discount on tuition for the kids. She agreed with me that that would never happen. :) Many private schools don't even have counselors and aren't seeking one which is the case for these 2 schools. Then on Wednesday night I was talking to Max about it and romanticizing it in my head about how it would be so neat if they asked what I did before I was a stay at home mom and then said you would be perfect for our school and then begged me to be their school counselor. Well..... that happened! Kind of. I kid you not. I thought it and it happened. I was NOT looking for it. I wasn't praying for it. I just spoke it out into the universe and it happened. We sit down in the principals office before we begin our tour and she begins to show us the text books and curriculum for her school. She asked why we were most interested in their half day Kindergarten and not their full day. At which point I proceeded to tell her what I observed in the schools when I was teaching and then counseling there. She immediately said, "You were a school counselor? Are you still certified?" I got goose bumps. Max and I just looked at each other. She began to explain how they needed a counselor to help with high school placements and college stuff and scheduling.... All the stuff I dreaded and tried to avoid as a school counsel, but knew was typically what you really end up doing as the counselor. The whole reason why I wanted to counsel in elementary schools was because you are little less like to be used as the Assistant principal and a little more likely to be able to lead small groups and teach classroom guidance, but not really that much more. Honestly, most school counselors I know do all the administrative work and little guidance. Anyways, she kept apologizing to Max for talking business with his wife. It was funny because he knew how much I wanted this conversation to be happening. I figure if I can do it part-time, get a discount on tuition and still have opportunities to touch lives then I'm up for it and willing to learn all the clerical work needed for the job. I really liked my high school counselor and she didn't actually counsel us, but when we were having trouble with a boy or needed help with a friend or just needed to talk she was available to do that and do all the boring scheduling stuff too. I could handle that! It would certainly be stepping out of my comfort zone to work with high school kids, but I think I would really like it and I need to do something new and different to grow. So at this point, nothing is set in stone. She has only asked for my resume and said she wanted to talk to her Assistant Principal to discuss if they would be ready for a counselor next year or the year after. I'm fine waiting and having another year home with Rhett. Although, when I told her that I would want to put Rhett in their 3 year old preschool class only if I got the job she said, "Oh, well we better hurry then. That 3 year old class fills up very fast."  So, NOW I'm praying about it!  And this would be for next school year. I'm still going to be nanny for my friend's new baby in the Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment