Friday, November 18, 2011

Name on the Paper


I had this interesting email conversation with some friends recently that I thought I would share on my blog in case you might could benefit from it. All the moms made good points that made for a fun debate. I have changed the names for their privacy. After becoming a school counselor and seeing how different teachers run their classrooms differently I have learned a lot. I also learned a good amount in graduate school when I did a big report on ADD in the Classroom. I had a professor named Carla Anhalt who created an ADHD Classroom Management Kit. She was kind enough to give me a copy of the whole kit. I used it in my classroom and it worked wonders. I don't think other teachers were interested in using because it did take a little extra work and more time. Anyways, that said, my friend's question was about her son getting a 5 points taken off his spelling test for not putting his name on his paper. I tend to get pretty fired up and passionate about school issues so I should probably not be posting my opinions on such topics.
Here are the series of back and forth emails between a few of us moms:
Concerned Mom: "Jack brought home a beautiful spelling test yesterday. Every word perfect, handwriting super neat, dictation sentences awesome and it had a 95 at the top. I couldn't figure out why and so when I asked him how he did on the spelling test he said, 'I didn't get a 100 because I forgot to put my name.' 5 points off a spelling test in 1st grade. Is this okay? They had an unusual test this week because she made up the spelling words. So the phonics sheet for the spelling test did not look the same as it usually does with a place at the top for your name, et. They just wrote the words on lined paper out of their notebooks. No line or place for name at the top. I'm sure he just totally forgot and it really isn't that big of a deal, just frustrated that she counted 5 points off on a perfect spelling test!"
My knee jerk response was: She has obviously not read Bringing Up Boys, but her behavior management system is very common and accepted. https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=398394011058 I was taught to do the same things when I taught 1st grade even though I didn't agree with it. You really do need to let this go or you will become labeled as "that parent" by the teachers. Sorry. It sucks and it isn't fair, but it's all a game we must play to survive in this world. 
Mom 1: "LET IT GO." Seriously, learning to put their name on things is in a way, just as important as the test itself. What he will remember from this experience will teach him a valuable lesson - putting his name on stuff, keeping track of his things, taking ownership for his work, etc. - is just as important as any of the words in that test. And hopefully he will remember to do it from now on because she marked off for it - whether there is a line for it or not. I think it's awesome that his teacher is trying to teach him lots of life skills - not just how to spell. That's a different perspective at least - for what it's worth...
Me: I agree with Mom 1. And 95 is so great! Focus less on his good grades and more on his good character. But it bothers me that a 95 is not a reflection of his true ability, but rather his lack of responsibility. I would suggest praising him for his hard work ethic and study skills that make him able to spell all those words correctly. When a student forgot their name on a paper I would do nothing, however, I gave those who remembered their name a sticker for their sticker book. At the end of the week if you have so many stickers you could "buy" something from the treasure box. There were many different ways to earn stickers. This system worked better in 2nd grade when I could pay them with pretend money (pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters) instead of stickers. When they were getting paid for hard work and doing their job correctly and had to pay me for a poor job it had more of an impact on them. But I also had the kids split up by Teams and you had to to help your teammate in order to get points for your team. Then we had an activity reward for the team or table with the most points. I drew cards out of a box that said things like slither like a snake around your table, skip around the room, stand on your desk, play pat-a-cake (all things the kids wrote down at the beginning of year). Then we would erase the points and go to lunch and recess. When we got back the game started up again for the rest of the day then we added up points again and drew an activity for the winning team at the end of the day. Breaking it up like that and playing the game 2 times made the kids still feel like they had a chance win and instead of giving up because one team had a strong lead they would continue to help their friends at their table get their book out and turn to the right page in time or whatever it may be. 


I don't think kids should get grades docked for a lack of responsibility. Sorry, not sure if that made sense and I hope I didn't just add fuel to the fire. Seriously let it go. This is how his teacher and school are teaching responsibility...at least they are trying to teach it. 
Mom 2: I know at this age most of us want the teacher to compliment and encourage the kids when they do a great job, not overshadow their accomplishments with a negative.  But like others said, hopefully this will prepare them for later.  I will say that in my daughter's class they have a system independent of their academic grades similar to what Kristy mentioned where they earn gold coins and can use them to get things out of a treasure chest.  She is consistently loses coins for forgetting to put her name on her paper, forgetting to turn in her homework, etc. and whenever I mention it to her she always says well, I have a lot of coins already.  Ugh!  So in her case maybe it would be better to count off on the grade because she is really worried about that.  I guess it just depends on the kid.
Concerned Mom: Yes, but then she might end up with a B in reading when really she reads on a level 3 grades above her level??  That just wouldn't make sense and would kill a kids self confidence in that academic area.  Names, sloppiness, handwriting, cutting, fine motor, responsibility to me should be graded somewhere different - at least in those first few years of "learning" the rules and system of school! 
And how many doctors have terrible handwriting.  I can't ever read what they write?  I wonder if Einstein ever dropped his jacket or left his name off his paper?!?  How often do we see reports about brilliant men/women who did terrible in the school system?!?  Teachers couldn't stand them and they ended up hating school, but then going on to be amazing inventors.  I wonder if they invented things sitting quietly in a desk?  Did they fidgit a little while they were inventing.  Wonder if they ever messed up on their "cut/paste" activity while trying to figure out their invention?  They just didn't fit the "mold", but ended up creating APPLE computers, etc.  Just wondering if we have mixed things up along the way?  We just have to learn to flex with the kids more based on strengths, weaknesses, etc.  If we are going to say that we teach to the child, then we really need to do it.  http://www.hoover.org/publications/defining-ideas/article/93066
Mom 3: I love your passion!! You need to get involved with the LISD Strategic Design Process. Help them see where we need changes!!
Concerned Mom: Kristy says, "It bothers me that a 95 is not a reflection of his true ability," 
I think that is what I totally have an issue with - the grading policy.
Scenarios:
 1.  If you have a cut/paste worksheet and you leave one off or use too much glue, or don't cut neatly etc. that might make for an 85 on a READING worksheet when you are actually in the highest reading group in the class.  Is an 85 an accurate reflection of your "reading" ability?  Would be confusing to me if I were a kid.  Wait, I thought I was an awesome reader, but I have an 80 in reading because I was "sloppy".  
2.  If you forget a period on a math word problem sentence and you get -5, is that a true reflection of your math ability or grammar/language?
3.  Do kids with awful handwriting get docked points on spelling tests because their words are hard to read?!?  Is that a handwriting/fine motor issue OR a spelling issue?  
So I get that we need names and this won't fly in high school, but we are in first grade LEARNING the "rules" to all of this paperwork!  And one day it will all be on computer anyways sent from emails with names.  Phew, that will really help him.  
I am just wondering?!?  Seems like somewhere along the way a few issues got missed and it is a one size, fits all grading system.  I'd like to get in one of those meetings where the grading "rules" are decided because we are all educators yet every district is doing this different.  This is not the way we did it in Plano and Coppell doesn't even have grades in first grade!? 

My opinion on this (which I did not email to everyone, only to the concerned mom):
You are right on all accounts. And I don't think they have meetings where they set the grading "rules." I think it is just one of those things that has been that way for a long a long time and it is just easier to keep doing it one way than to have to step out of your comfort zone and try something new in the classroom. Teachers know that if a parent sees that points were taken off a test grade for not putting their name on their paper then the parent should talk to their kid about it. It's a teachers way of co-parenting with you. It just doesn't feel that way and while I don't personally agree with it or many things that are done in the classroom, however, I can empathize with why they do it. It takes work to change and teachers are already over worked. Teachers are exhausted with 23 +  kids in their classrooms all with different learning styles, needs and issues and a butt load of paper work on the weekends. It's impossible to meet the needs of every child. 

After hearing about Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise and Other Bribes I feel differently about the stick chart. I don't think that was the best choice now, but it was what I was taught and all I knew to do. And teachers have to do something to manage a room full of that many students. I just feel more along the lines of "let the punishment fit the crime" and making sure the consequence truly teaches a memorable lesson.

And you know how I love to be controversial so here is my controversial statement: I don't think it is bad for a kid to take a small hit to their self-esteem occasionally. It can build grit and determination. I was very responsible and organized and would have burst into tears if a teacher took points off my grade for forgetting my name. However, I was told that my grades were bad and that I wasn't college material by my high school counselor at a Christian school. I used that blow to my self-confidence to get my Masters degree in School Counseling. And Steve Jobs had a really tough life with not a lot of self-esteem building and like you said, he invented Apple. 

I have so enjoyed this discussion and hearing everyone's personal experiences and insights. I apologize if I have offended anyone as I often do, but I don't mean to. I'm just so passionate about and frustrated with our school system. I so badly want to see changes and I want to be the one who helps make those changes as a teacher consultant one day.

1 comment:

  1. Plano school do not give grades to students in kindergarten through second grade. Instead the keep a portfolio to assess the students and have 3 parent conferences throughout the year. A spelling test will come back with a fraction such as 10/12 or 12/12 and might include comments from the teacher.

    ReplyDelete