Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Surprise Potty Training

We are NOT potty training, far from it. In fact, I've been avoiding potty training my 2 year old son for 2 reasons: 1) It was so difficult, frustrating and traumatic potty training his sister that I did not want to ever go through that again and 2) because I don't want to deal with racing to a potty and getting out of line at Disney World when we go in May. So I thought that I would wait until we go back from our trip. He turns 3 June 1 so I thought this summer would be a good time for him to run around naked outside. However, on Wednesday night after dinner, for whatever reason, Rhett went to his room, unzipped and took off his footed pajamas (which I didn't know he could do by himself), walked into the bathroom, took off his diaper, lifted the lid to the potty (which we had only been using as a step stool), sat down and pooped!  Anyways, while we were cleaning up in the kitchen Rhett wandered off and was quiet for a long time so Max went in to check on him and found him naked in the bathroom pointing at the potty. We don't think he was going to even tell us what he did because he never really got that excited or made a big deal of it. All he said was, "Me wear big boy underwear?" His big sister has been telling him that whenever he goes peepee and poopoo on the potty then he can wear big boy underwear just like she wears big girl panties. Needless to say, we are all in shock and disbelief and I'm pretty his sister potty trained him since I know I didn't. He turns 2 1/2 on December 1 so I guess he is really ready. 


looking in the potty

I had him put a dishtowel in front of himself so I could take his picture. You can see the potty is located in front of the sink because Rhett only use it to stand on to brush his teeth. 

Kellyn was so happy for him she ran and got the Happy Flip Flop Face :)

After having 2 kids react to potty training so extremely different I am an even firmer believer than ever that personality effects potty training Sara Au and Peter L. Stavinoha write in their book Stress-Free Potty Training.  

No comments:

Post a Comment