Saturday, February 11, 2012

And Then Tuesday Happened :(

 Tuesday didn't start off all that good to begin with. Kellyn didn't fall asleep Monday night until 11:00p.m. due to coughing and her ear hurting and I think she had a low grade fever. So after going to bed late I still got up early to go to my Nike Training Club class at 5:45 a.m. When I got back home at 7:00 a.m. both kids were still asleep so I took a shower and got ready for the day. Rhett woke up soon after, but we decided to let Kellyn sleep in since she didn't feel good. I emailed her preschool teacher to tell her she would either be late to preschool or not be there at all depending on how she felt. She finally woke up at 8:30 and said she wanted to go to preschool so we got dressed and ready to go and left the house by 9:40. I dropped her off then Rhett and I left and were back on the road a few minutes before 10:00. I was headed north on Josey going to the Library to return our books instead of doing what I normally do which would have been to turn left on Rosemead then go down Old Denton to my weekly grocery shopping trip with 1 kid instead of 2. But today was all messed up. I usually drop Kellyn off around 9:00 and am back on the road by 9:15, but today because she was sick we were in the intersection around 10:00 and going straight through it instead of turning out of it. And that's when it happened....This lady who was going South on Josey turned left from a non-turning lane and hit me. 


It was so scary! She hit my driver's side door. Thank God Kellyn was not in the car because it was on her side. I immediately looked in the back to see if Rhett was ok. He was completely still and not crying. I grabbed his leg and ask if he was ok. That was when he burst into tears and so did I. My brain was in shock and I did not respond quickly. I thought, "I need to unbuckle and get out to get to him." When I turned to open my door I saw that I couldn't open my door so I grabbed Rhett again then realized I had to climb over the console and go out the passenger side door. I unbuckled Rhett and got him out then called 911 as I walked to the curb. I was crying, but I turned it off pretty quickly because it was upsetting Rhett. He calmed down when I did except he was trembling. The lady just kept saying, "I'm so sorry. I thought it was a double turn lane! I thought it was a double turn lane! I'm so sorry." Two witnesses stayed to help me out. They both said she had been, "driving distracted." They said she almost clipped a car before she hit me. And they could not believe that she was turning out of that lane when the people in the turn lane weren't even turning. Some nice lady drove up by us on the curb and handed Rhett an orange out of their car to help calm him down. I sat down with him in the grass in front of the Valero gas station near the Trinity Pharmacy. I looked up and saw the lady that hit me taking pictures of our cars. I stood up and asked one of the witnesses if I should also take pictures. She said yes for the insurance company. After I took a picture and looked at it my brain finally snapped out of shock it realized this was bad and that I needed to call Max. He was in Lewisville, but he got there so fast. He talked to the police and the witnesses and called the insurance company, everything I couldn't think to do, but know to do. He put Rhett in his car seat in his truck. He just swooped in and took care of us. I love that man so much! I am certainly not the emotionally strong one this relationship.


My neck was sore for a few days, but now it's fine. We are all fine. They totaled my 2002 Mountainier with over 100 thousand miles on it, no surprise there. It just stinks and feels like I'm being punished with having to soon have a new car payment when I didn't do anything wrong. I just hate that it had to happen 2 days before Max's 35 birthday. But one good thing came out of this, I felt so connected and close with Max this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment