Sunday, February 9, 2014

Bo is Here! and Our Stay in a Baby Friendly Hospital

After Bo was born they moved us out of the delivery room and down the halls and around the corners to a regular room. I had my first 2 babies at Plano Presby, but Bo was born at Baylor Carrollton, a "Baby Friendly"hospital, because they gave a us cheaper cash price. They do things a little different than what I was used to 4 years ago.


As soon as he was born Max cut the cord then they laid him on me all gross and slimy. I immediately thought, "He's so heavy! Now please clean him up." They did wipe him off, but they didn't wash him off. They said they don't bathe them until 24 hours after delivery to promote breastfeeding. 


They wanted me to nurse him immediately in the delivery room which I did and then kept him latched on as they wheeled me down the hallway to our room. That seemed a little strange and different. Kellyn had so much trouble latching as a newborn due to the high arch in the roof of her mouth and a recessed chin that would have never been able to happen with her. But Rhett and Bo both latched beautifully after delivery. 

My friend, Dedra, made these precious shirts!
Kellyn was on cloud 9 to get to meet and hold her baby brother, very similar to how she was when she got to hold Rhett for the first time back when she was only 2 1/2 years old.
Rhett loves his brother so much. He has taught us that, "You don't poke babies in the eye, you have to hold them with the Boppy, and you can't cough on them."

Another thing that was different about this hospital stay was that they do not take babies to the nursery. Max asked the baby nurse when they would be taking the baby to the nursery and the nurse looked at him like he was crazy and said, "We don't take babies the nursery unless the mother cannot care for the baby in the room due to high blood pressure or something. Your baby will stay in your room throughout your entire stay with the exception of small procedures like circumcision." I thought to myself, "Ok, so I will not be getting the traditional first night's rest where they take the baby to the nursery so the mother can sleep and just bring they baby back to nurse every 2 hours." I was fine with it, but Bo was having no part of sleeping in the hospital basinet so I "slept" with him skin to skin on my chest both nights. Again, this was all to promote breastfeeding. They said that when the babies were separated from their moms the mother's milk came in later. In fact by the summer of 2014 Baylor will be doing away with all nurseries. They will have what they call a "momma/ baby" nursery. They want you to be skin to skin for the first 48 hours. I have to say it worked because it was all about nursing the entire time even it was just colostrum. I definitely think he got more colostrum and nursed more than my first 2 in the hospital. Plus my milk came in much faster this time. Instead of coming in on day 4 or 5 like it did with the other 2 it came in the night we got home from the hospital, 30 hours after delivery!

Our family of 5!

Our first night in the hospital was anything but restful. Because Bo was 8 lbs. 9 oz. they told us that he was big for his gestational age (39 weeks) and that meant they had to test his blood sugar levels every hour then every 3 hours. His levels were always perfect. This happened when I had Rhett too. He was 8 lbs. 4 oz. (just like Kellyn) and his gestational age was 38 1/2 weeks. His levels were always good too. Can't people just have big babies. Anyways, being a "baby friendly" hospital, meaning they do everything in their power to promote breastfeeding, they do not give babies pacifiers. Both times when I delivered at Presby Plano the pacifier was just laying in the basinet. Not anymore! Not here! Oh no! This could cause nipple confusion. Seriously? My first 2 had pacifiers in the hospital and Kellyn nursed for over a year and Rhett nursed for 10 months. 

I love this sweet picture of Bo and Max looking at each other. 


Joe (my dad) holding Bo.  :)

Maw-maw holding her 10th great grandchild.
I have to say I thought she would have been a little more moved by the fact that Bo's first name is after her husband, my grandfather, but she didn't seem to care all that much. 


Kellyn is obsessed with him. She made him the cutest little bracelet. 

Finally Sunday came and we got to go home! 
How cute are they all in their winter hats. 

I was a little irritated because my doctor was going to release me a day early on Saturday, but the pediatrician would not release the baby simply because I only received 1 bag of penicillin and not 2 before delivery. They had to keep watch over the baby's temperature to make sure he didn't spike a fever and go septic. This required that they hold him until he was 48 hours old. Discharge time was 11:00, but we didn't leave until 1:00! :(  I really wanted to get home because and ice storm was moving in and I didn't want to be driving home with a newborn on slick streets. 

Honestly, I'm fine with all they do at Baylor to promote breastfeeding and become a certified baby friendly hospital. I just think it's pushed down your throat a little too much. It should be your decision as the mother if you want to give your baby a pacifier or send your baby to the nursery. You should be asked or given the option at least. Let's just say the second we got home we busted out the pacifiers. I talked to our pediatrician about it and he said Plano Presby was doing the same kind of things to keep their baby friendly certification and that one of the requirements is that the baby stays in the mother's room for 23 out of 24 hours at a time. This is why they don't ask if you want to send your baby to the nursery. They don't want to lose their certification. Baylor just seems to be a little more serious and hardcore about following the baby friendly rules.

All in all it was a nice hospital and I had a good experience, but I did miss my fancy Plano Presby. No biggie though, Baylor was very nice too. I'm just glad Bo is here and healthy. God has blessed us immensely and I'm filed with gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment