Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Swagger Wagon


I'm not going to lie, a little part of your dignity dies when you have to drive a minivan. The moment you drive off the lot in that minivan your coolness factor drops like 80 points. Making the minivan decision means you are finally ready to be the financially responsible, safe, convenient mom. It's like wearing tennis shoes instead high heels. For years you wore high heels (Mustang) and they were never comfortable or cheap, but you like the attention and that feeling of sexy confidence you got from wearing them. Then you became a mom and had to wear flats (SUV), but they were still very cute flats and you still received compliments on them occasionally, but they were somewhat comfortable and affordable. But then you became a stay-at-home mom of 2 kids with 1 income and now you have to cut costs and save time and money wherever you can. So you begin wearing easing, comfy, tennis shoes (minivan) that support your ankles so you can chase your toddler as they run away from you at the park. They aren't ugly shoes they are just practical shoes for you and the kids. So that's where I am in life now. But I still wear cute flats and high boots. I don't want to dress like I actually drive a minivan. 

My first car was '65 Mustang, my second was a '96 Mustang. When I got married I got a Mercury Mountaineer. The kids and I were fine in that for years, but one day Kellyn opened the door and a heavy gust of wind caught it and hit the door next to us. I've lived in fear of that happening again. And the air conditioner in the backseat of the Mountaineer was very weak so in the summertime my kids were miserable. I gave them hand held fans and ice packs made for car seats. It was so sad and extremely frustrating so I had been wanting a new car for those 2 reasons alone, but we were going to wait one more year since Max is starting a new business this month and don't want 2 car payments. But then the car crash happened and my old 2002 car which had over 100,000,000 miles was totaled. My mom let me borrow her Expedition, but then she had to drive Maw-maw's Explorer or my dad's truck putting them all out. So we felt the need to hurry up and find something as soon as we got the check from the insurance company. I only wanted to look at Expeditions because we are a Ford family and they are big enough for all our stuff especially for when we go on vacation. And they are so pretty and still make you look cool. But they are gas guzzlers and gas prices are about to rise and they have those heavy doors that the kids could still slam into other cars. Plus, thinking into the future, and Kellyn being in Kindergarten and later 2 kids in Elementary school, I realized that I would be carpooling and bringing friends to our house to play after school or sports practices. It seemed too cumbersome to have to lift and fold the side seat to let people get back to the 3rd row. The Expedition has a big engine for hauling and pulling and I'm not going to be pulling a boat or horse trailer behind me. It just didn't make sense. It was more of a want than a need. And I was used to getting what I wanted, but now I'm a grown up and I have get what we all need, lower car payments, lower gas mileage, more storage and passenger space, highest safety rated vehicle. So all these money and convenience factors combined lead us to make the boring old, responsible, minivan decision. 

However, while on the dealer's lot I spotted a Mustang! It was 2010 GT! I asked if I could see and it and the guy was so nice. He let me sit in it and crack up the amazing sound system.  

The word Mustang lit up by the floor as you opened the door. And the back seats had blue lights under them. So cool! 

What I think I should drive.


What I actually drive. 



Blue 2011 Sienna (same dark sparkly blue color my mustang was!) Heated leather seats, DVD player with USB port, picture card slot, rear view camera, tinted windows. Loving the ease and convenience of the push button, electric sliding doors and sooooo much storage and passenger space. 








The kids absolutely love it. They love pushing a button to open and close their own doors. Kellyn said she had always dreamed her mom would get a car like this! And just keeps telling me, "Mommy, I tell you something. I like your new car."
I like it, but I'm still coming to terms with it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment